I always find my friends shouting out and feeling proud for being a Software engineer; whether they’re or not a software engineer. Sometimes I get sick of this fucked up kinda way of speech. Because they don’t even know what its like to be a Software engineer, or what we call a Programmer in Pakistan. Actually this term is old now, and we should start using the innovative term ‘Software Developer’. It looks neat and clean and somewhat sexy!
However, the topic was. What is it like to be a software developer?
Actually it is the most fucked up thing to be in the whole of the employment careers history. When you’re a Software engineer, you’re not the admin of the world or even yourself. Your the person on whom everyone is depending. Not in a way that they breathe on your permission. But in a way that they order you to do work for them.
I have a little knowledge of some programming languages. So, my friends and colleagues and family are always looking for me to do their coding work. This is what it feels like to be a developer
- It feels like you don’t have a life.
- It feels like no one gives a fuck about your products, your softwares. All they care about is their work being done!
- No one praises you for learning or creating a new plugin. They care about is being provided with a plugin that they need at the moment.
I remember, when I created a Virtual Keyboard, no one patted on my back or gave me a thumbs up. Because they weren’t in a need of it. But when I created a messaging app, to punch back an annoying friend. They for the very first time accepted me as a Software Developer! (Wow, no really a Wow!).
- I feel like I am trapped in my own world, and people are talking in the form of 01101001; I can’t understand what they’re saying! 😀
- I feel like what I’m trying to do, can change the way people used to do work before that plugin or software.
So, I just want to tell my friends that being a software developer isn’t a badge or a medal that you can wear and show off. It is a hell job. You can’t even imagine how much a person’s life is disturbed in becoming a Developer. How much a person’s paradigm is shifted to the verge of going insane. How much a person misses the way an ordinary person spends his time with his friends and family.
Please, let Software Developers live in their own way and their own Kingdom! Don’t even try to enter it without their consent. They’ll code the fuck out of you bitches!